Glingle-Glingle

A collection of random wafflings as they pop into my mind

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It seemed like a good idea.....

Somehow I've got to turn this (netting, lace, lining, interfacing, zip, boning, thread, assorted flowers and did I mention the seven metres of shantung taffeta)

into a dress for the gala dinner at the Discworld Convention on Sunday 20th August.

I blame Mum for a) offering to help me make the dress and b) telling me not to worry that the pattern I really liked was labelled as an advanced one. The french instructions on the pattern describe it as plus difficile which sounds even harder than advanced if you ask me. Fortunately Mum is an experienced dressmaker (and very patient with me) and so I'm vaguely confident that it'll end up looking something like this (the one on the right)

Wish me luck! So far it's taken two days to cut out all the pattern pieces and fabric. I've also discovered that compared to the pattern I have a low waist and so I've learnt how to drop the waist and raise the hips. Steep learning curve here I come...

5 Comments:

At 8:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't mention that the shantung taffeta was 60 inches wide - not 48 or 36!

 
At 5:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does look a wonderfull pattern, can't wait to see the final dress at the Con, I'm going to feel soooo under dressed lol

 
At 2:22 pm, Blogger Custancia said...

If I get as slim as you, and wear some really high heels, can I borrow it?

 
At 4:12 pm, Blogger Francesca said...

I wish wish wish I could go to a discworld convention and have a pretty dress. Boo hiss to living in Philadelphia. Boo hiss to having children not yet initiated into the adoration of all things Pratchetty (and who are scared of people in costumes). Boo hiss to bad beer.

Want to go too. Show pictures of your dress so I can envy you even more!!!

 
At 9:11 pm, Blogger Custancia said...

Hear Hear - your loyal readership demands regular photo updates!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home