Glingle-Glingle

A collection of random wafflings as they pop into my mind

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Bring me sunshine

Venus & Cupid (Love, the Most Beautiful Of Natural Disasters)
By Shane A Johnstone
Dedicated to Those Who Have Been Lost Working On The Sea

As today was such a beautiful spring day we decided to drive down to Morecambe for a stroll along the seafront. This gave me the opportunity to have a closer look at a sculpture which has always intrigued me as I've driven past it. It doesn't show up terribly well on my snap above, but the sculpture is covered in mosaic which form patterns and images on the two figures.

I love the subtitle of the piece, "Love, the most beautiful of natural disasters." It sums up how the first wave of love crashes into you, destroying the comfortable environment you've inhabited, and forcing you reassess what is important to you, what you need to carry with you and what you need to abandon in order to survive the experience, and ultimately no matter what the outcome is, it will change who you are.

2 Comments:

At 8:43 pm, Blogger Custancia said...

Beautiful looking sculpture - I'm both intrigued by the title, and by it's application to that piece of sculpture...

 
At 8:50 pm, Blogger Glingle said...

http://www.thisislakeland.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=34&ArticleID=1089704 has some explanation from the artist

 

Post a Comment

<< Home