Glingle-Glingle

A collection of random wafflings as they pop into my mind

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Eye spy...

Well this week I finally had an eye test, only a year or two after I was supposed to have them retested. As it turned out, my eyesight had deteriorated so marginally I didn't need a new prescription. In yet another incidence of "it's a small world isn't it". It turned out that the optometrist was due to go to a dinner party that evening with the course leader of my degree.

Despite the lack of need for a new prescription it ended up being an expensive visit as I ended up getting a pair of prescription sunglasses for driving and decided to go for the additional test where they take a digital photograph of the retina. This wasn't a test that I really needed as I'm not in any of the high risk groups, but Mum found it so fascinating when she had it done that she advised me to splash out the extra for it too.

It turns out that my retina is perfect and is a very unusual shade of pinky/grey/purple (see that's why I like purple!*). She spent a lot of time explaining the landmarks of the retina to me and knowing that I'm studying a profession allied to medicine, showed me lots of different images displaying different conditions that can be diagnosed by the technique and how it can be used to monitor conditions. Definitely worth the extra £10 just for the entertainment value!


* The optometrist was not able to confirm this hypothesis.

1 Comments:

At 7:27 pm, Blogger Custancia said...

The glasses are indeed lovely. And you've managed to figure out how to do hyperlinks - well done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home